The following story was written by my aunt Linda, 2 days after her
granddaughter was born. It is about relating birth to death in a very
unique and creative perspective. Last weekend she shared this story with us. This story really hit home for me not only because of what is going on with my aunt Kathy, but because of this precious gift I am growing inside of me. After reading it I asked her if it would be alright if I posted it on my blog, and she so kindly said that I could. I really wanted to wait until my aunt Kathy posted it on her Caring Bridge site, before I shared it on here though.
When you were a baby in your mother’s womb, you had no idea of what it would be like out here in the world. If you (or any babies) could have thoughts in the womb, you may have thought things
like this:
During the first three months of pregnancy:
“Wow, there’s lots of space in here. I can move around and do flips and wiggle and just have a blast. I’m learning to swim. What fun! I never want to leave this warm pool. This is the best place in the whole wide world!”
During the second three months of pregnancy:
“It’s so nice and cozy in here. I heard that I’m going to be born someday, but that’s for old babies. No
one has ever come back to tell us what it’s like after you’re born, so nobody knows for sure there’s really life after birth. If I leave here, I’ll miss the darkness. I’ve heard my mom’s muffled voice telling me she can’t wait to hold me, to look at me, to enjoy my presence – but it’s so nice here, I don’t want to think about leaving here. I wonder if there’s really something after this. I wonder if there really is a mother? Or am I just imagining it?”
During the last three months of pregnancy:
“I can’t move! Life is so hard. I can’t take it anymore. I know I’m getting closer to being born, but I’m just not ready to leave yet. I know it’s something that I’m supposed to be looking forward to – but there’s so many unknowns. What is my mother really like? What will it be like to be in the right? What will I eat? Will I still have the same body and be able to do the same things? There are parts of me that I’ve never used, like eyes. What are they for? I’m scared.”
During labor pains:
“This is terrible! Help! What pain! I see something bright and I’m being pushed and pulled that way – but I’m still not ready. There’s so much I’m leaving behind. There’s so much I still wanted to do here. I wish I would have kicked mom’s ribs a few more times and snuggled tight against her bladder one last time. Goodbye sweet, dark womb, I’ll miss you. It’s been fun. I’ve had a good life in the womb. Oh, I’m so scared of birthing! Will there really be life after birthing?”
Birth and after:
“This is my mother! She’s so different out here! I thought I knew her in the womb – but this is so much more! She’s beautiful! I love how she looks at me – I have eyes to see, now I know what they were for! I love hearing her voice clearly. I love her tender touch and how she cares for me. I love all that she’s teaching me about life and herself. I never, ever want to go back in the womb! I’m so happy to be with my mom this way! I’m in her presence, safe and secure. Why did I ever want to stay in the womb? Why was I so afraid?”
I truly have a new perspective on life after death, and not so afraid of what is to come.
That's beautiful!
ReplyDelete